MOD. at the University of South Australia will be Australia’s leading future-focussed museum, provoking new ideas at the intersection of science, art and innovation. MOD. aims to inspire young adults aged 15+ about science and technology with dynamic, changing exhibition programs, showcasing how research shapes our understanding of the world to inform future possibilities.
For visitors it will be a science experience like no other, a tourist icon bringing together the general public, researchers, students and industry to interact, learn and be inspired - creating what will be Australia’s boldest, and South Australia’s only, interactive public science and creativity space.
MOD. will do this within seven purpose-built gallery spaces over two floors, our café, shop and lecture theatre housed within the University’s new Health Innovation Building on Adelaide’s premier cultural boulevard, North Terrace. It also features Australia's first Science on a Sphere, and The Arcade, a gallery that asks what it means to be human in an age of automation.
MOD. will present an ambitious annual program that includes three seasonal exhibitions, an annual MOD.Fest and other workshops, programs and travelling exhibitions.
We can’t wait to welcome you when we open our doors in mid 2018!
MOD. will host three exhibition programs each year plus a shorter studio program guided by our design principles:
· Two-way minded - We will embed Aboriginal knowledge and understanding by providing space for curation, creation and interpretation within our exhibition programs.
· Connected to research and enterprise - We will showcase research and innovation, and bring people and ideas together to promote further discovery and application.
· Accessible and inclusive - Visitors will be welcomed to the space with a mix of diverse and sensory activities catering for a wide range of prior knowledge and capabilities.
· Participatory - There will be spaces for doing, not just seeing. And different ways of getting involved to ensure tangible impacts for young people.
· Open-ended - MOD. will generate more questions than answers. It will be an engine for serendipity, providing young people with experiences to draw on throughout life.
· Scalable - Our experiences are designed for one and for many, to reach out and to be sustainable.
· Unexpected and audacious - We challenge the traditional. Experiences will be emotionally charged, where science and technology can be fun, but also challenging, icky and delightful. MOD. will be audacious, ambitious and globally-orientated.