Open JanNov 2024
- What if no one owned a home?
- Delve Deeper
What if no one owned a home? But we all had somewhere to live.
At Housing for Humans, you’re here to make your choice. Enter a reality where private property ownership has been abolished in favour of a new system that allocates high-quality and sustainable housing based on your personal needs and desires.
In this gallery we encourage you to share your preferences for living. Take some time to think about the sort of lifestyle you want, who you want to live with, and your lease duration, then we’ll do the rest.
Survey data shows that South Australians are feeling impacted by the housing crisis and don’t think enough is being done. More than 90% of respondents in a recent UniSA study reported being worried about the future of people locked out of the housing market. They are also concerned about homelessness in SA. The report, released in 2022, found rental availability and affordability to be at an all-time low across the country.
Michelle Gegenhuber, Believe Housing Australia Executive General Manager and co-author of the report with Prof Andrew Beer, says “it is evident, both through election polls and outcomes, and the results of the report survey, that there is a strong community appetite for change.”
For this exhibit, we want to present an alternative model for housing, one where everyone has somewhere to live.
Enter the Housing for Humans showroom and be allocated high-quality and sustainable housing based on your personal needs and desires.
- About how London’s ‘iceberg’ homes and luxury mega basements represent wealth burrowing underground
- Is this the future we want? 10 futuristic city examples here
- I’m in my mid-30s and I’m moving back in with my mum, but there’s a twist
- How research provides the keys to unlocking Australia’s housing crisis
- Read about how Sydney and Melbourne activists are demanding ‘soft density’ to ease housing crisis
- A comprehensive report on home and its meaning to 18–24 year olds – Impermaculture: Youth and the Future of Living report
- The emerging solidarity economy: A primer on community ownership of real estate
- Read about ‘unsettling’ travel, culture and climate change in Settler Australia
- High rents, low incomes and soaring property prices leave 6000 homeless in SA
- Neighbourhoods feeling the heat as medium density housing robs suburbs of street and garden tree
- Read about micromobility, UniSA and Beam announce ‘Future Scooter Lab’ partnership
- What the buildings we live in say about us – Building a Better Future
- Listen to a podcast about what makes up a sustainable city with Building the Cities of Tomorrow
- Why can’t we turn empty offices into apartments?
- Who killed affordable housing?
- A new model of land ownership based on ‘equitism’
- Nightingale housing – a housing model which isn’t built on investors
- An ecologically sustainable urban community in South Australia called Christie Walk
- A scheme in Finland looking to eliminate homelessness with Housing First
- Arterial Design
- Jimy McGilchrist Build
- Aristos Panousakis Housing render
- Doaa Abdelaal Housing render
- Braden Hill Housing render
- Dion Capone Housing render
- Sarah Vanlaarhoven Housing render
- Hannah Sexton Housing render